Driving in Thailand as a Tourist

To drive or rent a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice. 06 Jul 2012 motor vehicle act; Motor Vehicle Act – B.E. 2522. So, if you are visiting Thailand as a tourist and you want to rent a car for just a few days, you just need to carry the driving permit you obtained in your home country. This is clearly indicated in the Motor Vehicle Act: Section 42-2.

However the Thai Police do not seem to know or care too much about the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic and even as a tourist you will often get a small fine of 400 baht for not having either a Thai Licence or an International Driving Permit……………..unfortunately that is just how it is here

Find us on Facebook


359/119 Moo 12, Pattaya, Banglamung, Nongprue, Thailand
Phone: +66 830 776 928